Experienced in another language, some stuff I found with NetBeans
If you are like me and you came from another background language, you will probably have some strange expectations with Netbeans.
– I expected to have to hand write most of my code to do even the most basic task. This is just not required using the IDE.
– I expected to have to spend my life searching websites for code snippits and I did that at first, but actually the sample projects generally show you hot to do the things you need.
– I was surprised I could run an environment with multiple projects open, I could have a server side app, a client app, a web app all mashed together in one project allowing me to refer from one thing to another.
– I was surprised about how much code is automatically generated by the dragging and dropping from databases, web services, IDE componants etc etc etc.
– I was also surprised how cheap Sun Support is for a full year on all products and to be honest I think Sun do deserve SOMETHING for their part in all this wonderful stuff.
– Working with Netbeans I think is getting easier than .net and other languges (compared to Lisp its a dream). I love the way I can chose a different framework, install Jasper Reports and have a reporting system, all in oe place.
So if you are new to netbeans and are an existing developer….STOP
Go watch all the videos at http://www.netbeans.org so you can get a full flavour of it
Pull up some of the demo apps and take a peak at the way they are built – otherwise you’ll waste a LOT of time trying to do things in the way you expect to do them which is…. to be honest a waste of time. Most of what we do in code in other places is simple dragging and dropping.
It’s just knowing where to look.